It’s easy to get caught up in all the rhetoric on both sides of the ongoing health care debate. But, as Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association (AzHHA) President & CEO Greg Vigdor said during a recent television interview, “Our job is not politics, it’s taking care of patients.” That is a particularly relevant statement given that this is Patient Safety Awareness Week.
AzHHA staff donned hospital gowns today to increase awareness about patient safety efforts across our state. Speaking of awareness – the Center for Patient Safety put together a toolkit that includes a guide with tips and suggestions along with downloadable information and resources designed to highlight the importance of patient safety.
United for Patient Safety has a number of webcasts available on its website for free and will be offering a webcast tomorrow, Wednesday, March 15th, titled – ‘The Voice of the Patient and the Public.’ The organization wrote –
This webcast will look at the advancing role of the patient and the public in patient safety. We will explore past efforts that brought forth transparency to patient safety issues, examine where we are today, and discuss how we can shape the future together.
Hospital and Health Networks offered a number of recommendations to improve safety in our health systems.
- Ensure that leaders establish and sustain a safety culture.
- Create centralized and coordinated oversight of patient safety.
- Create a common set of safety metrics that reflect meaningful outcomes.
- Increase funding for research in patient safety and implementation science.
- Address safety across the entire care continuum.
- Support the health care workforce.
- Partner with patients and families for the safest care.
- Ensure that technology is safe and optimized to improve patient safety.
Let us know how Patient Safety Awareness Week is being recognized in your community. Is there more that we can do to highlight the importance of this issue in Arizona? If so, how can we do it? Working together with our partners to ensure that patient safety is a top priority is another way we are working toward our long-term goal of making Arizona the Healthiest State in the Nation!