The Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association (AzHHA) just released some new economic data that shows the enormous impact hospitals have on our state economy.
Arizona hospitals have a multibillion impact on the state’s economy, a report released this week said.
“Hospitals represent a critical driver of the Arizona economy, helping directly and indirectly generate 177,000 jobs and $24 billion in economic impact,” Jim Rounds, the president of the agency behind the study, Rounds Consulting Group, said.
The Arizona Hospital and Health Care Association said those jobs are nearly split down the middle when it comes to full-time and part-time positions.
Here are some additional numbers to give you an idea of the important role hospitals play in our state.
- 176,811 JOBS
- 87, 574 direct full-time jobs
- 89,237 indirect/induced jobs”
- $23.7 billion Economic Impact
- $11.7 billion direct impact
- $12.0 billion indirect/induced impact”
In addition, our hospitals provide critical care for millions of Arizonans. Every year in our state –
- 2.9 million people are treated in the ER/urgent care
- 82,000 babies are delivered
- 441,000 surgeries are performed, and
- Arizonans spend a combined 3.4 million ‘inpatient’ days being cared for at AZ hospitals
“This report makes clear that Arizona hospitals are essential not only to the health of Arizona citizens, but also to the overall health of our state and local economy.”
We’d love to hear your thoughts on this report and on the role hospitals play in your community. Partnering with our member hospitals to find new ways to bring better health to Arizonans and better economic health to our state will help us take another step toward our long-term goal of one day making Arizona the Healthiest State in the Nation!